People with illnesses are just as different from one another as people in general. They have different strengths and different needs. A “one size fits all” approach to providing health care just doesn’t work very well. Bob started by trying to understand individual differences among people with ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. More recently. we have focused on ways to help health care providers to evaluate their patients’ needs and respond to them accordingly.
- Maunder R, Esplen, MJ. Facilitating adjustment to inflammatory bowel disease: A model of psychosocial intervention in nonpsychiatric patients. Psychother Psychosom. 68, 1999, 230-40.
- Casati, J, Toner, BB, de Rooy, E, Drossman, D, Maunder, R. Concerns of patients with inflammatory bowel disease: A review of emerging themes. Dig Dis Sci. 45 (1), 2000, 26-31.
- de Rooy EC, Toner BB, Maunder, RG, Greenberg GR, Baron D, Steinhart AH, McLeod R, Cohen Z. Concerns of patients with inflammatory bowel disease: results from a clinical population. Am J Gastroenterol. 96 (6), 2001, 1816-1821.
- Maunder, RG, Greenberg, GR, Hunter, JJ, Lancee, W, Steinhart, AH, Silverberg, MS. Psychobiological subtypes of ulcerative colitis: pANCA status moderates the relationship between disease activity and psychological distress. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 2546-2551
- Maunder, RG, Greenberg, GR, Lancee, W, Steinhart, AH, Silverberg, MS. The impact of ulcerative colitis is greater in unmarried and young patients. Can J Gastroenterology. 2007 21: 715-720
- Hunter JJ, Maunder RG, Gupta M. Teaching consultation-liaison psychotherapy: Assessment of adaptation to medical and surgical illness. Acad Psychiatry. 2007 31: 367-374.
- Ravitz P, Lancee W, Lawson A, Maunder R, Hunter J, Leszcz M, McNaughton N, Pain C. Improving Physician–Patient Communication Through Coaching of Simulated Encounters. Academic Psychiatry. 2013 37:87–93.
- Soklaridis S, Hunter JJ, Ravitz P.Twelve tips for asking and responding to difficult questions during a challenging clinical encounter. Med Teach. 2014 Sep;36(9):769-74.
- Hunter JJ, Maunder RG, Ravitz P & Soklaridis S. ‘Tell Me What You Understand About Your Patient’: Applying Attachment Principles to Medical Education in Improving Patient Treatment With Attachment Theory, Springer, 2015